According to India’s Ministry of External Affairs, there are more than 32 million people of Indian origin in the world, making it the largest expatriate population in the world.
Republican Party Leader Nikki Haley 2024 us presidential election I have made a formal announcement of my candidature. In such a situation, she has joined the long list of leaders of Indian origin, who currently have influence on politics in important capitals of the world. The growing influence of the Indian-American community in America can be clearly seen in the success of Kamala Harris, who became the country’s first woman and first black Vice President. She was the senator of California from 2017 to 2021.
Harris, a leader of the Democratic Party, also served as the Attorney General of California from 2011 to 2017. He was born in California and his parents were of Indian and Jamaican origin.
Many names included in the list of influential people
- In the crucial midterm elections in November, a record five Indian-American lawmakers from the ruling Democratic Party—Raja Krishnamurthy, Ro Khanna, Pramila Jayapal, Ami Bera and Mr Thanedar—were elected to the US House of Representatives. Harmeet Dhillon, a prominent leader from California, recently contested for the chairmanship of the Republican National Committee (RNC).
- Rishi Sunak became the first Indian-origin Prime Minister of Britain last year. He is the youngest British Prime Minister in 210 years. He is also the first Hindu Prime Minister of Britain. India’s Goan-origin Suella Braverman is serving as his Home Minister. Priti Patel was the home minister in Sunak’s predecessor Boris Johnson’s cabinet. At the same time, Alok Sharma was the International Development Minister in the Johnson cabinet.
- Ireland’s Prime Minister Leo Eric Varadkar is also of Indian origin. Varadkar is the third child and only son of Ashok and Maryam Varadkar. His father was born in Mumbai and moved to Britain in the 1960s. Antonio Costa is the Prime Minister of Portugal since 2015. He is half Indian and half Portuguese.
- Canadian Defense Minister Anita Anand’s parents were Indians. His father was from Tamil Nadu and his mother was from Punjab. Apart from Anand, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has two more Indian-origin members in his cabinet – Harjit Sajjan and Kamal Khera. Priyanka Radhakrishnan is the first person of Indian origin to become a minister in New Zealand.
- Indian-origin lawyer and writer Pritam Singh has been serving as the Leader of the Opposition in Singapore since 2020. Devanand ‘Dave’ Sharma became the first person of Indian origin to become a member of the Australian Parliament in 2019. The President of Guyana, Mohammed Irfan Ali, was born in Leonora to a Muslim Indian-Guyanese family.
- Pravind Jugnauth is serving as the Prime Minister of Mauritius since January 2017. He was born in 1961 in a Hindu Yaduvanshi family. His great-grandfather had migrated to Mauritius from the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh in the 1870s. From the year 2019, the President of Mauritius Prithviraj Singh Roopan was born in an Indian Arya Samaj Hindu family.
- According to the Indiaspora Government Leaders List for the year 2021, more than 200 leaders of Indian origin have held high positions of public service in 15 countries across the world, of which more than 60 are cabinet posts. According to India’s Ministry of External Affairs, there are more than 32 million people of Indian origin in the world, making it the largest expatriate population in the world.