Salman Rushdie is known as a controversial writer. Rushdie, 75, has received threats before because of his writing. Read here 10 big things related to the attack on Salman Rushdie …
Image Credit source: Twitter
Author Salman Rushdie was stabbed in the neck during an event in New York, USA on Friday, leaving him seriously injured. Salman Rushdie is known as a controversial writer. Rushdie, 75, has received threats before because of his writing. Read here 10 big things related to the attack on Salman Rushdie…
- New York Police have confirmed the deadly attack on Salman Rushdie. Seriously injured Rushdie was airlifted to a nearby hospital. Police said the attacker has been taken into custody. Rushdie was present on a stage to deliver a speech when he was attacked. A person talking has also suffered injuries in the attack. However, there is currently no update regarding Rushdie’s health.
- Salman Rushdie fell on the floor as soon as he was hit with a knife. Although Rushdie used to get police protection in America during any event. Shortly before the attack, Salman Rushdie wrote a mail urging the American organization to help Ukrainian writers.
- The attack on Rushdie took place at 11 am local time (8.30 pm Indian time). Rushdie was on stage to speak and was being introduced. As usual, the Summertime Lecture Series was organized this time too at the Chautauqua Institution, located in the rural area of New York. Rushdie has given speeches there before.
- The British writer from Delhi, William Dalrymple, was the first to react. He tweeted, “A terrible day for literature, for freedom of expression and for writers everywhere. Poor poor Salman, I pray that he does not get hurt and gets well soon.”
- Rushdie, 75, was particularly embroiled in controversy over his book The Satanic Verses, published in the late 1980s. Rushdie was banned in Iran since 1988. He was accused of blasphemy for this book. Iran’s top leaders had threatened to behead him and had also promised to reward those who did. However, it is not yet clear whether the strings of this attack are related to Iran itself.
- A British citizen of Indian origin, Rushdie has been living in the US for the past 20 years.
- His first novel appeared in 1975, but one of his original works is Modern India, Midnight’s Children (1981), for which he also won the Booker Prize.
- After the publication of his fourth book, The Satanic Verses (1988), he became embroiled in controversy. After this he received death threats. Although Salman Rushdie continued to write the book despite this. He wrote several novels in the 1990s. In particular, he has been receiving death threats from Iran.
- In 2007, he was given the formal title of ‘Sir’ by Queen Elizabeth II for his services to literature. He has written over a dozen books, including non-fiction.
- In 2012, an Iranian religious organization announced a new reward for him. The religious organization had openly threatened to behead Rushdie. In the same year he published a memoir about the fatwa, Joseph Anton, the name he used while in hiding.