James Faulkner, Australia all-rounder James Faulkner on Saturday said goodbye to the Pakistan Super League 2022 (PSL 2022) citing payment issues. After which he became the target of many Pakistani veteran players. Former Pakistani player Shahid Afridi said that no one should be allowed to tarnish Pakistan cricket and the PSL brand. So on the other hand, former Pakistani captain Salman Butt said that James Faulkner should not have been allowed to go back immaculate.
Salman Butt’s reaction
In the current PSL 2022, James Faulkner was part of Quetta Gladiators. They allege that the PCB and PSL have not paid their contract money yet. Along with this, he has also accused the hotel staff and said that the hotel staff had misbehaved with him. Responding to Faulkner’s statement, former Pakistan cricket team captain Salman Butt said that he should have been detained for two days and not allowed to leave Pakistan undisturbed. Salman said,
“He threw his helmet on a chandelier and damaged hotel property. He also misbehaved with the people present there. I think James Faulkner should have been taken into custody for two days. It could have become a danger to someone. People were standing there and anything could have happened. There should have been a police case against him. His behavior was not good. The PCB should not have let him go. I think the cricket board should have handled the matter legally.”
Further Salman Butt said in his YouTube channel,
“What cheap drug did he have? His allegations are beyond the limits of stupidity. He threw his helmet on a chandelier and also damaged the hotel property. He also misbehaved with the people present there. I think James Faulkner should have been taken into custody for two days.”
James Faulkner Tweet
I apologise to the Pakistan cricket fans.
But unfortunately I’ve had to withdraw from the last 2 matches and leave the @thePSLt20 due to the @TheRealPCB not honoring my contractual agreement/payments.
I’ve been here the whole duration and they have continued to lie to me.
— James Faulkner (@JamesFaulkner44) February 19, 2022
On February 19, James Faulkner said in one of his tweets,
“I apologize to the Pakistan cricket fans. Unfortunately I had to withdraw from the last two matches and leave the PSL due to non-payment of money by PCB as per my contractual agreement. I stayed here all season and he kept lying to me. It hurts to leave the tournament, because I wanted to help bring international cricket back to Pakistan, because there’s a lot of young talent and amazing fans, but the treatment I’ve been treated here is disgraceful.”
Statement of PCB and Quetta Gladiators
The PCB and Quetta Gladiators refuted James’ allegations, saying,
“We are disappointed for this behavior of James Faulkner, who was also a part of the Abu Dhabi leg of the PSL in 2021. He was also given full respect along with all the other participating players. In the last seven years no player has complained about the commitments made in the contract with the PCB, but all the players have appreciated the efforts of the PCB.
Further PCB and Quetta Gladiators said,
In January, 70 per cent of Faulkner’s fees for the 2022 season were sent to his UK bank account. The remaining 30 per cent fee was to be paid 40 days after the end of the PSL, but in view of this unfair treatment of Faulkner, now the PCB and all the franchises have decided that he will not be made a part of the PSL in future.