Image Credit source: File Photo
Emotional Intelligence: Emotional Intelligence is also called EQ i.e. Emotional Quotient (EQ). It is the ability to recognize, assess, control and express emotions.
What is Emotional Intelligence: There are some skills that are not taught in school, but they are important. One such skill is emotional intelligence (Emotional Intelligence) or emotional intelligence. It is necessary to move ahead in life and career. It prepares any person to be successful in his career. Emotional intelligence is especially important for students, who show them the way to progress. According to a research, 67 percent of the qualities required for better performance in study or work are associated with your emotional intelligence. Know more about it and how to increase it.
What is Emotional Intelligence?
Emotional intelligence is also called EQ i.e. Emotional Quotient (EQ). It is the ability to recognize, assess, control and express emotions. People with high EQ usually make great leaders or players because of their ability to understand, empathize and connect with the people around them. In simple words, emotional intelligence is the ability to understand, express and control one’s own and others’ emotions. It also includes understanding your emotions and managing them properly. Apart from increasing the ability to work with people, it is also very effective in reducing stress.
You must have seen many such people around you who are intelligent and also work very hard. But despite all this, they are not able to be successful in their life or career. This means that the person is weak in terms of emotional intelligence. If EQ is not good, IQ (Intelligence Quotient) does not prove to be effective, due to which one has to face difficulty in moving forward in life. Now you must have understood how it affects your career.
Why is Emotional Intelligence Important for Students?
- When you understand and manage your emotions well, your chances of getting top grades increase. Negative emotions can hinder the pace of learning. In such a situation, EQ prepares the student in a better way to deal with those feelings.
- Thanks to EQ, students can quickly break down exam stress, stave off boredom and maintain their concentration while studying a boring subject. It develops the ability to improve next time instead of worrying about bad grades.
- Research suggests that strong emotional intelligence leads to better mental, social and even physical health in life. It helps to prepare for the challenges of life. Students with high EQ are more active and in a better position in social life.
- EQ is also necessary to move ahead in career. When you are in the workplace, emotional intelligence affects your success. This is especially true for jobs that are more prone to emotional encounters. Using EQ is an important skill for managing a team.
- Emotional intelligence is also considered very important for building good relationships with loved ones and other people. It keeps the person self aware i.e. career and life conscious. It gives a realization that life is not just being entangled in one’s own life or one’s work.
So, the question is, can you improve your emotional intelligence? You can do this, let’s know how to improve it.
How to increase emotional intelligence?
This is not something that you can switch on whenever you want. Emotional intelligence cannot be increased suddenly. It is a skill that takes time to develop. You can increase it by making changes in your thinking, way of working and your attitude towards people. To promote emotional intelligence, you must keep these things in mind:
- Practice observing how you feel and act in different situations.
- Be prepared in advance about the outcome of future events and accept those feelings in advance.
- Keep a diary to improve self awareness. Noting how you felt and reacted to an incident.
- If the feeling of anger or sadness is high, then put your energy in creative or productive work.
- Instead of getting frustrated with failure, try to see it as learning opportunities.
- Try to lead an active life. Find ways to maintain a positive attitude throughout the day.
- Instead of reacting emotionally, give a constructive response.
- Try to find out the problem and solution which is not related to anger or frustration.
- Always note down your emotional reactions and try to explore your feelings.
- Always try to understand the situation of others while practicing self-awareness.